Web Site of Robert John Morton
Sustainable Food: Water
This part of the Project is at the 'Request for Information' stage. I should therefore be most grateful if you could tell me of any Internet information sources you know on the following topics.
- Ensuring that water drawn from a well is fit to drink
- Small-scale drilling for [and pumping] underground water
- Capturing and purifying [acid/polluted] rain water.
- Condensing water from the atmosphere.
- Domestic water recycling providing different grades of cleanliness for flushing, washing and drinking.
- Closed cycle systems like those proposed for space travel
- Possible urine recycling via hydroponics. [My grandpappy used to 'water' his tomato plants with 50% urine (his own). Best tomatoes I ever tasted.]
Please send information to Robert John Morton. Thanks.
- boil drinking water for 5 minutes (add 1 min per 1000ft above 10,000ft. Kills all except chemical pollutants.
- use iodine (or chlorine) to remove chemical pollutants. Removes all chemical pollutants except toxins. Prolonged use can cause thyroid problems.
- for protection against toxic chemical contamination, draw water from a source in which fish are living happily, there are algae on the rocks, crowdads on the bottom and insects skimming on the surface.
© May 2001 Robert John Morton