Chapter 4: A Futile Chore
Footnote: My Prospective Employer
In order for me to be able to pass through the insurmountable barriers that are beyond my control and influence, my prospective employer would have to:
- be well disposed to the idea of an employee working for a majority of his time at home, ie: to tele-working.
- not be unwilling to employ me on account of my age or the length of time I have been unemployed.
- not require a reference from a previous employer or anyone else.
- be willing to employ me despite my having been self-employed for most of my career and consequently having a psychological profile which is incompatible with the general brief of a permanent position.
- post his vacancy on the government NATVAC System where it can be found without cost to me, and make full advanced free provision for me to attend interviews.
He must also be willing, able and confident to assess me for what I can do; rather than according to who I am, where I have come from, or what paper qualifications I may or may not have. And since I have no aptitude for aptitude battery tests, these must not be used as a means of assessing my abilities. Furthermore, since I have no 'connections', he must not be nepotistic or prone to choosing his employees from his old school, institute, club, Masonic lodge or other social or professional instrument of restrictive practice.
©May 1998 Robert John Morton